Yes, All Arlo Cameras Work With Alexa.
The entire line up of Arlo Cameras are compatible with Alexa. Arlo cameras are a great option if you don’t have any existing wiring for cameras and want to use a camera that uses batteries. Arlo cameras can be placed indoors or outdoors and have a small magnetic mount that allows you to inconspicuously place the cameras nearly anywhere.
The Ring Spotlight and Blink Camera also use batteries and can be placed indoors or outdoors without the need for any wiring. We typically recommend that if you are going to invest in a smart camera like the that you hardwire it or plug it in because it will be more reliable and you won’t need to change the batteries.
However hardwiring a camera is not practical for everyone and can cost between $100-$1,000 if you hire someone to run new wiring. We’ve seen that the Arlo Cameras are great inconspicuous cameras to place around your house if you are going through a remodel, to check up on a nanny or when your gone on vacation. If you turn off the recording while your home it’s a great way to extend the battery life so that they are only being used while your not home.
If you already have Arlo Cameras or are looking to purchase them they can connect to any Amazon Echo Device with a screen. We personally recommend the New Echo Show as the best device to connect an Arlo Smart Camera. The Echo Spot also works with Arlo cameras but it is a smaller screen than the 10” screen on the Echo Show
What Can Arlo Do With Alexa?
If you enable the “Arlo Skill” on Amazon Alexa you it will allow you to see a live feed of your Arlo Smart Camera, but you must have an Amazon Alexa spot or an Amazon Alexa show to see the video feed. It's a great option to quickly pull up your camera feed, I have an Amazon Alexa in the office so I can see who's outside quickly just with a short voice command. You can see a live view example of a Smart Camera video feed on the Amazon Echo Spot.
Arlo Alexa Commands
“Alexa, show me my front door.”
“Alexa, show me my Arlo Camera”
“Alexa, show me [Name of Arlo Camera]”
How to connect your Arlo Cameras to Alexa
1. Install the Arlo cameras and complete the set up through the Arlo app.
2. Open the Amazon Alexa app on your phone.
3. Click the menu on the top left of the screen. The menu will have several different options. Click on the "skills" tab in the menu.
4. This will take to you the Alexa skills store, Alexa skills are like "apps" for your Amazon Alexa devices. At the top of the screen there is a search bar. Enter "Arlo" into the search bar, and the “Arlo Skill" will pop up.
5. Select the "Arlo" Skill. Click Enable. Enter your Arlo account username and password.
6. Once you do that the skill is linked to the Arlo. Alexa will then ask you to discover devices, just click yes. If Alexa does not ask you to discover devices go back to the main Amazon Alexa home screen. Click on the menu at the upper left and click on "Smart Home" within the menu.
10. Once in the smart home menu click on the "+ Add Device" button if you don't see your Arlo listed in the devices. The Arlo shows up as a camera logo which looks like a circle with one leg. If you don't see your camera already in the smart home devices click the "+ Add Device" button. If you already have the doorbell added and it shows up in the smart home devices your Arlo is connected to your Amazon Alexa Show or Spot.
11. To view on your Amazon Alexa device just say "Alexa show me my backyard" and it will now display on your Amazon Alexa device if it has a screen. If you named your Arlo something other than “backyard” You will need to use the name you gave the Arlo in order for Amazon Alexa to display it on the Amazon Alexa Spot or Amazon Alexa Show. You would need to say "Alexa show me "NAME OF DOORBELL DEVICE""
Amazon Alexa Devices That Work With The Ring Doorbell or Ring Cameras
FAQ: Arlo Camera Questions
Does the Arlo Pro Work with Alexa?
Yes, the Arlo Pro does work with either the Amazon Echo Show or Echo Spot to display the streaming video from your smart camera.
Does the Arlo Go work with Alexa?
Yes, the new Arlo Go, that can work on 3G or 4G networks does work with with Alexa. The Arlo Go is a great option if you want to secure a jobsite, new home build, barn, or vacation property that may not have interconnection.
How long do the Arlo Camera Batteries Last?
The Arlo Pro and Arlo Wire Free camera batteries last 3-6 months before they need replacing. The Alro Go batteries last 2-3 months. The Arlo Q and Arlo Q plus don’t use batteries.
Do the Arlo Cameras Use Batteries?
The Arlo cameras require batteries. We recommend you use rechargeable batteries and a charger that are compatible with Arlo like the ones below.
Can you change the color or hide Arlo Cameras?
Yes there are several different color covers for the Arlo cameras or camouflage covers.