Yes, All Ring Doorbells Work With Alexa & the Ring Security System.
The entire line up of Ring Doorbells & Ring Cameras are compatible with Alexa including the (Ring, Ring Doorbell 2, Ring Pro Doorbell, Ring Floodlight, Ring Spotlight, Ring Stick Up Cam & Ring Doorbell Elite) all work with any Alexa device that has a screen.
What Can Ring Do With Alexa?
If you enable the “Ring Skill on Amazon Alexa you it will allow you to see a live feed of your Ring Smart Doorbell or Ring Camera, but you must have an Amazon Alexa spot or an Amazon Alexa show to see the video feed. It's a great option to quickly pull up your doorbell feed, I have an Amazon Alexa in the office so I can see who's at the front door quickly just with a short voice command. You can see a live view example of a smart video doorbell feed on the Amazon Echo Spot.
Related Post: Does Ring Security System Work With Alexa?
1. Install the Ring doorbell or Ring Camera and complete the set up through the Ring app.
2. Open the Amazon Alexa app on your phone.
3. Click the menu on the top left of the screen.
4. The menu will have several different options. Click on the "skills" tab in the menu.
5. This will take to you the Alexa skills store, Alexa skills are like "apps" for your Amazon Alexa devices. At the top of the screen there is a search bar. Enter "Ring" into the search bar. Two "Skills" will pop up.
6. Select the "Ring Video Doorbell" Skill.
7. Click Enable.
8. Enter your Ring account user name and password.
9. Once you do that the skill is linked to the Ring Doorbell. Alexa will then ask you to discover devices, just click yes. If Alexa does not ask you to discover devices go back to the main Amazon Alexa home screen. Click on the menu at the upper left and click on "Smart Home" within the menu.
10. Once in the smart home menu click on the "+ Add Device" button if you don't see your doorbell listed in the devices. The doorbell shows up as a camera logo which looks like a circle with one leg. If you don't see your camera already in the smart home devices click the "+ Add Device" button. If you already have the doorbell added and it shows up in the smart home devices your Ring smart video doorbell is connected to your Amazon Alexa Show or Spot.
11. To view on your Amazon Alexa device just say "Alexa show me my Front Door" and it will now display on your Amazon Alexa device if it has a screen. If you named your doorbell something other than "Front Door" you will need to use the name you gave the doorbell in order for Amazon Alexa to display it on the Amazon Alexa Spot or Amazon Alexa Show. You would need to say "Alexa show me "NAME OF DOORBELL DEVICE""
Related Post: Ring Security System Review
Amazon Alexa Devices That Work With The Ring Doorbell or Ring Cameras
You can display the Ring video feed on either the Amazon Echo Spot or the Amazon Echo Show.
Can you use Amazon Alexa as a doorbell chime?
Once you have connected your echo device to ring following the instructions above you will just need to do the following to use your echo devices as a doorbell chime with your ring.
Go to the smart home devices section in your Amazon Alexa App
Tap on “All Devices”
Click on the doorbell device you want to “chime” your amazon echo device
Turn on the doorbell press option
Adjust each echo device to allow communication and announcements settings to enabled. You will need to click on each echo device you want to be notified on to make this work.
If you don’t want to use an Alexa device as a doorbell chime ring sells separate wireless doorbell chimes that can be placed anywhere in your house to work as a doorbell chime, no wiring is needed just plug in the chime, set it up and your new doorbell chime is connected to the Ring Doorbell. The new chimes work with all Ring Doorbells including the Ring Pro, Ring 2 Doorbell and the Ring Elite Doorbell.
The great thing about the doorbell chimes is that they have a small form factor, and can also be set to alert you to motion. They fit right over the top of an existing outlet and will still leave one plug open on outlet for other devices.
Ring has two types of doorbell chimes, there is the standard Ring Wifi Chime which will operate as doorbell chime wherever you plug it in and the Ring Pro Chime which works as a chime but also a range extender to increase the wifi network strength between your ring device and your home network. It works great if you are experiencing video lag on your Ring Device.
Ring Doorbell Chimes
FAQ: Ring Doorbell Questions
Does the Ring Pro Doorbell Work with Alexa?
Yes, the Ring Pro Doorbell does work with either the Amazon Echo Show or Echo Spot to display the streaming video from your Ring Pro Doorbell on your Amazon Echo Device.
Does the Ring Doorbell 2 Work with Alexa?
Yes, the Ring Doorbell 2 does work with either the Amazon Echo Show or Echo Spot to display the streaming video from your Ring Pro Doorbell on your Amazon Echo Device.
Does the Ring Doorbell Elite work with Alexa?
Yes, the Ring Doorbell Elite does work with either the Amazon Echo Show or Echo Spot to display the streaming video from your Ring Pro Doorbell on your Amazon Echo Device.
Does the Ring Doorbell Need a Transformer?
The original Ring Doorbell & the Ring Doorbell 2 do not need a transformer or any existing wiring to work. They have a built in rechargeable battery pack that powers the doorbell for 6-12 months per Ring. We have found that the batteries last closer to 1-3 months on average in a busy area like Chicago. The other factors that determine how long the battery will last are your wifi connection, daily usage, how sensitive you set your motion detection for and how often you live stream from the doorbell.
If you do have existing doorbell wiring you can also connect that to the Ring Doorbell 2 and the Ring Doorbell and it can provide enough power to the doorbell that you may never need to recharge the batteries.
Do the Ring Doorbells Use Batteries?
The original Ring Doorbell & the Ring 2 Doorbell both work on rechargeable batteries but can also be hardwired. You can get additional rechargeable batteries to swap with your camera so you don’t ever have any downtime while charging.
Which Ring Doorbell is Best?
The best all around value is the Ring Pro as it has the best resolution, best features and slowest lag time. However it does require that you have existing wiring for your doorbell and a transformer to power the Ring Pro.
If you don’t have any wiring and are going to use a Ring doorbell with batteries the Ring 2 Doorbell is your next best option. It has better resolution than the original Ring Doorbell and uses a rechargeable battery. We have noticed that the Ring 2 Doorbell can have a slight lag to the feed if it is not connected to a transformer.