Yes, Ring Door View Cam Works With Alexa
Ring’s latest addition to their smart doorbell lineup is made to be installed in existing doors with a peephole in minutes or you can drill your own peep hole and install the Ring Door View Cam. With the the Ring Door View Cam you don’t need to do any wiring, just remove your old peep hole insert the Ring Door View Cam and in minutes you have all of the other great features Ring Doorbells are known for.
The Ring Door View Cam is a great fit for people who have a peep hole in their door and may not have any existing wiring for a hardwired doorbell, renters or people who live in a high rise apartment, who don’t typically have doorbells but do have peep holes. Since the Ring Door View camera installs without any wiring it is completely removable and you could take easily uninstall it in minutes and take it from one house to the next.
The Ring Door View Cam Also works as a doorbell with its doorbell push button on the front and includes built in motion detection with its 1080 HD streaming camera. The Door View Cam is battery powered so you can just recharge the battery pack when needed. Its small profile makes it great for any door and easy installation makes it an easy DIY install for any homeowner or renter.
The Ring Door View Cam works with Alexa but what you might not know is that the entire line up of Ring Doorbells, Ring Cameras and the Ring Security System are compatible with Alexa including the (Ring, Ring Doorbell 2, Ring Pro Doorbell, Ring Floodlight, Ring Spotlight, Ring Stick Up Cam & Ring Doorbell Elite) all work with any Alexa device that has a screen.
What Can Ring Do With Alexa?
If you enable the “Ring Skill” on Amazon Alexa you it will allow you to see a live feed of your Ring Door View Cam, but you must have an Amazon Alexa spot or an Amazon Alexa show to see the video feed. It's a great option to quickly pull up your doorbell feed, I have an Echo Show in the office so I can see who's at the front door quickly just with a short voice command. You can see a live view example of a smart video doorbell feed on the Amazon Echo Spot.
Related Post: Does Ring Security System Work With Alexa?
How to connect Amazon Alexa To Ring Door View Cam
1. Install the Ring Door View Cam and complete the set up through the Ring app.
2. Open the Amazon Alexa app on your phone.
3. Click the menu on the top left of the screen.
4. The menu will have several different options. Click on the "skills" tab in the menu.
5. This will take to you the Alexa skills store, Alexa skills are like "apps" for your Amazon Alexa devices. At the top of the screen there is a search bar. Enter "Ring" into the search bar. Two "Skills" will pop up.
6. Select the "Ring" Skill.
7. Click Enable.
8. Enter your Ring account user name and password.
9. Once you do that the skill is linked to the Ring Door View Cam. Alexa will then ask you to discover devices, just click yes. If Alexa does not ask you to discover devices go back to the main Amazon Alexa home screen. Click on the menu at the upper left and click on "Smart Home" within the menu.
10. Once in the smart home menu click on the "+ Add Device" button if you don't see your doorbell listed in the devices. The doorbell shows up as a camera logo which looks like a circle with one leg. If you don't see your camera already in the smart home devices click the "+ Add Device" button. If you already have the doorbell added and it shows up in the smart home devices its already connected to your Amazon Alexa Show or Spot.
11. To view on your Amazon Alexa device just say "Alexa show me my Front Door" and it will now display on your Amazon Alexa device if it has a screen. If you named your doorbell something other than "Front Door" you will need to use the name you gave the doorbell in order for Amazon Alexa to display it on the Amazon Alexa Spot or Amazon Alexa Show. You would need to say "Alexa show me [Name of door view cam device]"
Amazon Alexa Devices That Work With The Ring Doorbell or Ring Cameras
Can you use Amazon Alexa as a doorbell chime?
Yes, Amazon added an update in October of 2018 that allows you to use any of your Echo Devices as a doorbell chime with the Ring Door View Cam. We’ve tested the doorbell function with Echo Dot, Echo, Echo Show & Echo Spot and it works great to alert you for both doorbell rings and can be set to alert you when motion is detected.
Ring also has wireless doorbell chimes that can be placed anywhere in your house to work as a doorbell chime, no wiring is needed just plug in the chime, set it up and your new doorbell chime is connected to the Ring Door View Cam.
Ring has two types of doorbell chimes, there is the standard Ring Wifi Chime which will operate as doorbell chime with the Ring Door View Cam wherever you plug it in and the Ring Pro Chime which works as a chime but also a range extender to increase the wifi network strength between your ring device and your home network. It works great if you are experiencing video lag on your Ring Device.
Ring Doorbell Chimes
FAQ: Common Ring Door View Cam Questions
Does the Ring Door View Cam Need To Be Plugged In?
No, the Ring Door View Cam Runs on a battery pack.
How Do I Remove an Existing Peephole To Install Ring Doorbell Cam?
Can I install this if I don’t have an existing peephole?
Yes, you will just need to drill a new hole where you want to place the Ring Door View Cam. You should use a 5/8” drill bit.